Our History of Service
On June 16, 1902, six Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus missionaries from the Italian Province sailed from Genoa to Boston, Massachusetts. The sisters came to assist the emigrants who had abandoned Italy in search of a livelihood in the United States, thus establishing the U.S. Province for the Apostles.
U.S. Provincialate—Mount Sacred Heart
Within a short time of their arrival in Boston, the missionary sisters from Italy had gathered about 200 children from the area and organized Christian Doctrine classes for them.
By 1905, fifteen other sisters had come from Italy. The order purchased a building in the Orient Heights section to house a novitiate for young sisters and for a small hospital.
In 1906, the Apostles branched out to the Diocese of Hartford, becoming established in New Haven, Connecticut. The Provincial House has been in Hamden, Connecticut, since 1953 on a 125-acre property known as Mount Sacred Heart. Formerly known as "Cherry Hill," the parcel is one of the highest spots in the surrounding area. Purchased from the family of Manley Chester in 1946, reminders of the Chester estate remain—orchards, magnificent trees, and the family's stately home, presently used by sisters in Formation.
Over the years, we Apostles began ministering in other states, including Missouri, Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Michigan, Rhode Island, Florida, New Jersey, and California. Since 1998, the U.S. Province has also had a mission in Taiwan, People's Republic of China.
Although education is the primary apostolate of the U.S. Province, our sisters are also involved in:
- Social work
- Legal assistance
- Nursing and health care
- Pastoral ministry
- After school programs
- Elderly day care
- Other works of charity