Mount Sacred Heart
he United States Provincialate for the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is located in Hamden, Connecticut on a wooded, 125-acre property known as Mount Sacred Heart. Formerly known as Cherry Hill, the property was purchased from the estate of Manley E. Chester, a prominent local businessman, in 1946.
At that time, the Provincialate was still located on Greene Street in nearby New Haven. Under the direction of Provincial Superior Mother Celestine Rigo
, ground was broken for
the new Provincialate in 1950. Originally dedicated in 1953 and rededicated in 2005, the main building houses the Provincial offices as well as residential areas and the Caritas Christi Center
. Connected to the building is Sacred Heart Academy
. Also on the property is Sacred Heart Manor
, the Apostles' retirement home, which itself houses the Clelian Adult Day Center
and the Sacred Heart Manor Nursery and Kindergarten
. Additionally, the original stone mansion on the property, built in the early 1900s, is home to the Apostles' formation community. The renovated and updated structure was rededicated in the summer of 2008 and is now known as the "Sr. Antonine Signorelli Formation House."
In residence at Mount Sacred Heart are, Sr. Anne Walsh, Provincial Superior; Sr. Linda Pettinella, Vice Provincial Superior; Sr. Estelle Barelli Sacred Heart Manor Aide; Sr. Doretta D'Albero, Paralegal at Apostle Immigrant Services; Sr. Marilyn Lagermann, Registered Nurse at Sacred Heart Manor; Sr. Lisa Retort, Provincial Secretary; Sr.Jeanne Marie Vonder Haar, Director of the Caritas Christi Center; Sr. Ann Maria Sforza, Mount and Manor Maintenance Supervisor; and Sr. Carolyn Severino, St. Mary Parish - Branford, Director of Adult Faith and Formation
Sacred Heart Academy
Established on Greene Street in New Haven in 1946
by Sr. M. Antonine Signorelli, Sacred Heart Academy is a college preparatory school for young women located at Mount Sacred Heart in Hamden, CT. SHA was dedicated at Mount Sacred Heart in 1956, three years after the dedication of the Provincialate. Over the course of its 65+ year history, SHA has graduated over 5,000 students.The Apostles living in the Sacred Heart Academy community are Sr. Sheila O'Neill, President; Sr. Maureen Flynn, Principal; Sr. Mariette Moan, Alumnae Director and Director of the Office for Religious of the Archdiocese of Hartford; Sr. Mary Anne Sharron, faculty member; Sr. Lany Jo Smith, Director of Campus Ministry; and Sr. Judith Musco, faculty member and Dean of Student Activities.
Sacred Heart Manor
Dedicated in 1976, Sacred Heart Manor, the Apostles' retirement home in Hamden on the Mount Sacred Heart property was the vision of Provincial Superior Sr. Anita Marie Giampetro. Because the retired sisters at that time had almost all been involved in education, Sr. Anita Marie also thought it was important to establish a nursery school and kindergarten as a lively reminder of the sisters' days in active ministry. The nursery was established first in the Provincialate building, but it moved to the Manor when construction was complete.
In addition to the Nursery & Kindergarten, the Clelian Adult Day Center has also been located at the Manor since its founding in 1988.
Sisters in residence at the Manor participate in the ministry of the province, whether as active volunteers at the Clelian Center, by making sandwiches for the "Midnight Run," or through prayer as Apostle Adorers.
Read more about Sacred Heart Manor in the feature article of the Spring, 2006 issue of Caritas, the newsletter of the Apostles.
Sr. Antonine Signorelli Novitiate Community
This year, the community residing in the Sister Antonine Signorelli Formation House consists of the novices in their Canonical year, along with Sr. Luisa Villegas, Novice Directress. The Canonical year is dedicated to the religious and spiritual formation of the novice.
As the Novices continue in the initial stage of formation as Apostles, they spend their time in service at the various ministries on the Mount Sacred Heart property,
and attend classes as well.
Our Lady of Guadalupe
The Apostles have a long history of service to the New Haven community, starting in 1906 when we came from Boston, just 4 years after first arriving from Italy.
The establishment of the Guadalupe Community in the Fair Haven section in 2008 marked the return of an Apostle convent to within the city limits for the first time in several years. At that time, we launched a new initiative: Apostle Immigrant Services. Sr. Mary Ellen Burns, an attorney with several years of experience serving a largely-immigrant community in New York City, serves as Director of the ministry. Sr. Susan Francis Graham, Registered Nurse at Sacred Heart Manor and Vocations assistant; and Sr. Maureen Fitzgerald.
Mary, Mother of the Church
Mary, Mother of the Church Convent was established in 1994 on Denslow Hill Road on the property of Mount Sacred Heart in Hamden. Members of the community are Sr. Cecilia Marie Scaduto, Director of Clelian Adult Day Center; Sr. Anne D'Alessio, Vice Principal at St. Rita School; and Sr. Patricia Cigrand, St. Bridget Parish, Pastoral Associate.
Sacred Heart on the Lake
Located in Higganum, Connecticut, Sacred Heart on the Lake was established in 1964 through the efforts of Provincial Superior Mother Rosalia Sosso. Mother Rosalia sought to provide a place where Apostles could spend weekends or vacation time away from the busy schedules of daily ministry. The larger of two buildings on the beautiful 46-acre property is a renovated factory which is not only available to the Apostles, but also to groups wishing to use it for retreat days or workshops. In 1970 the congregation purchased an adjoining property with a house to be used as a convent.
Since then, the Apostles in residence have served local parishes in the Norwich diocese.
The present community at Sacred Heart on the Lake includes Sr. Emmanuel Shoaf, maintenance supervisor; Sr. Dominic Joseph Valla, a pastoral associate at St. Patrick Parish in East Hampton; and Sr. Jerilyn Hunihan, a Chaplain with the Connecticut Department of Corrections.
The mission at St. Raphael Parish in Bridgeport, CT was established in 1937 when the sisters were sent to help with catechetical and parish work for the Italian population of Bridgeport. In 1960 when St. Raphael School opened, the sisters began serving as administrators and teachers in the parish school. Starting with the 2013-14 school year, St. Raphael School was incorporated into the new "Cathedral Academy" which features two campuses: the St. Raphael Campus which is the lower school, and the St. Augustine Campus, the upper school.
Members of the Apostle community at St. Raphael Convent are Sr. Deborah Lopez, Principal at the St. Raphael lower school; Sr. Lisa Florio, faculty member at the St. Augustine upper school; Sr. Mary Grace Walsh, Superintendent of Schools, Diocese of Bridgeport Office for Education; and Sr. Alice Legan, faculty member at the St. Raphael lower school.
The Apostles were invited to serve in St. Joseph Parish in Shelton in 2006 by the pastor, Fr. Chris Walsh.The community includes Sr. Nancy Strillacci, Program Director in the Office of Clergy for the Diocese of Bridgeport; Sr. Carolyn Carlisano, Assistant Principal and faculty member at St. Joseph School; Sr. Christine Hoffner, Assistant Principal and faculty member at St. Rose of Lima School; Sr. Matthew Maria Rancilio, Pastoral Associate at St. Joseph Parish; Sr. Karen Skurat, Director of Faith Formation and Pastoral Associate at Holy Rosary Parish; and Sr. Colleen Smith, Principal at St. Rose of Lima School.
Immaculate Heart of Mary
Currently living at Immaculate Heart of Mary in Guilford are Sr. Carol Sansone, Principal of Our Lady of Mercy School in Madison, Sr. Mary Jane Paolella, faculty member at Sacred Heart Academy and Sr. Ellen Cronan, Administrator at Our Lady of Mercy School.